NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence to Reduce Inequality in Heart Disease, Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research
Three PhD Scholarships in ‘Optimising Outcomes in Cardiovascular Disease’
- Chronic Heart Disease Management
- Women and Heart Disease
- Heart Disease from an International Perspective
The NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence to Reduce Inequality in Heart Disease, based at the Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research, is seeking applicants for three PhD Scholarships to undertake innovative research in the field of cardiovascular disease and cardiovascular outcomes.
Depending on the negotiated field of study, the Scholarship recipients will be co-supervised by Professor Simon Stewart (Director of the Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research and NHMRC Principal Research Fellow). Co-supervision will be arranged in negotiation with the successful candidate, with the potential to engage with leading academics in Europe, North America and Africa.
The Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research provides a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment for PhD students to pursue an academic and/or industry research career. It has a large academic and support staff dedicated to its research program, substantial research funding, and a vibrant PhD program. Professor Stewart and his team are world-leading pioneers in the development of innovative surveillance and intervention programs across the spectrum of risk and heart disease.
In the recent 2015 Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) assessment, ACU received the top score of five in Human Movement and Sports Science (1106), Nursing (1110), Public Health and Health Services (1117), and Psychology (1701).
- A tax free stipend of $AUD 26,288 per annum and a tax-free top-up of $AUD 5,000 per annum for up to three years;
- A Commonwealth-funded place for domestic students; and
- Project costs and conference travel via NHMRC CRE to Reduce Inequality in Heart Disease.
For more information about The NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence to Reduce Inequality in Heart Disease, please visit: http://mmihr.acu.edu.au/research/nhmrc-centre-for-research-excellence-cre-to-reduce-inequality-in-heart-disease/
How to apply:
Please note: This scholarship is only open to domestic research candidates.
Applicants should also include a cover letter of not more than two pages providing evidence of:
- Academic excellence, including, but not limited to, academic awards or grants;
- Professional experience and/or relevant training and/or research experience in their preferred area of research;
- A marked interest to conduct a PhD in the area of the research scholarship if not already a PhD Candidate*;
- Academic publications and/or conference presentations, especially in the area of the research scholarship, relative to their career to date; and
- Ability to contribute to a team.
*Current PhD candidates without an existing Scholarship and still in the 1st year of full-time equivalent or current Honours students.
Closing date: Until suitable applicants are found.
For more information:
Dr Jocasta Ball
For information regarding application and enrolment email Graduate Research (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the subject line ‘Optimising Outcomes in Cardiovascular Disease’
Applications should be forwarded to:
Australian Catholic University
P.O. Box 968
North Sydney NSW 2059