Applying for Research Grants and Funding
Research Grants Team Support Services
The ODVCR Research Grants Team partners with researchers to manage the development and submission process for research grant applications as well as ongoing administration over the lifetime of each grant.
Working closely with Faculty Associate Deans Research (ADRs) and Institute Senior Managers (Research Grant Development)/Faculty Research Managers as well as the ODVCR Finance and Contracts teams, the Grants Management Team provides high quality service and support, offering:
- Pre-award advice to researchers on identifying suitable funding sources to target for research projects
- Assistance with the development and improvement of competitive grant proposals
- Strategic ‘lay review’ of applications
- Pre-award compliance checking, proof reading, and expertise regarding funding body guidelines
- Assistance and advice regarding application content and budget drafting
- Processing RAFs and seeking DVCR approval
- Information on the outcome of applications
- Post-award support
All external grant applications and contract research proposals must be approved by the appropriate University delegated signatory – the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research) or his delegate PRIOR to submission. Project proposals need to be submitted through the online ORION system (see the RAF process document: Research Approval Form – User Guide also included in the grants package below).
If you intend on applying for a funding scheme, the earlier you let us know, the greater assistance and value-adding we can provide. The internal submission deadline to the Research Grants Team for compliance review is a minimum of five working days prior to the external funding body submission deadline (unless otherwise specified, for example during major grants rounds).
ODVCR Research Grants Team
Please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us on ext 2530. We look forward to assisting you in bringing your proposal to a polished pitch!
Grants Manager: Dr Jessica Gilbey │Email: Jessica.Gilbey@acu.edu.au │Ph: +61294659245
Senior Grants Officer: Dr June Chen│Email: June.Chen@acu.edu.au │Ph: +61297392194
Senior Grants Officer: Mr Martin Kelly │Email: Martin.Kelly@acu.edu.au │Ph: +61294659243
Senior Grants Officer: Dr Julie Thorpe │Email: Julie.Thorpe@acu.edu.au │Ph: +61297392510
Post-Award Officer: Ms Eva Garcia │Email: Eva.Garcia@acu.edu.au │Ph: +61297392105
External Funding Opportunities
The EOI form allows you to lodge your research idea with the ODVCR and work towards relevant funding opportunities, particularly (but not exclusively) the Category 1 grants. Please email the Grants Management Team to request a copy of the form.
Non-ARC/NHRMC Submissions Toolkit
Please email the Research Grants Team to request this toolkit of resources. It includes:
- An ACU grant application flowchart
- An outline of the application process
- A guide to ACU research grants: Pre Award to Closure
- A tip sheet on Costing Projects /constructing the budget
- The relevant resources for calculating costs, producing institutional information, and understanding the HERDC specifications for research (please note that, currently, the best way to calculate salary costs accurately is to use the HR salary and on costs calculator in conjunction with the relevant level/year from the ACU Staff Enterprise Agreement included within).
Internal Funding Opportunities
Securing a research grant is more competitive every year. ACU Research has a long-term goal of improving the success rate of our applicants by establishing effective infrastructure and constantly improving the efficiency of our processes.
To support this goal, ACU Research also offers a range of internal funding schemes including ACU Research Funding (ACURF), Research Study Program and in association with the Human Resource Directorate, the Research Award for Women Academic Staff. For more details including contact information, please see Internal Funding Sources below.
Research Awards for Women Academic Staff – applications now CLOSED.
See Internal Funding Sources below for more details. Closing date for applications is 6 October 2017.
Australia-Germany Joint Research Co-operation Scheme – applications now CLOSED.
See Internal Funding Sources below for more details or visit the Australia-Germany Joint Research Cooperation Scheme page on the Universities Australia website.
Research Study Program – applications now CLOSED.
See Internal Funding Sources below for more details or visit the Research Study Program Policy page.