Orion is ACU’s corporate research management and administration system and is used for tracking, processing and administering research activity at ACU.
Orion is used for:
- Grant applications and research projects:
- online Research Approval Forms (RAF) for external grants
- Internal ACU research funding (ACURF) grants
- Research ethics applications and approvals
- Online Ethics application form and review
- Research outputs and publications
- Online form for entering and reviewing research outputs
- Research candidates (HDR students)
- online Annual Progress Reports
- online Variations to Candidature form
- recording Thesis submission
- Reports on research activity and performance
- Researcher profiles showing grant, publication and HDR supervision
- Faculty, Institute and School reports of grants, candidature and publications
Questions about accessing Orion can be directed to the Research Systems team:
email Res.Systems@acu.edu.au or
phone (03) 9953 3674 (Ext 3674).
Grants and RAFs
All research proposals seeking external funding must submit a Research Approval Form (RAF) via Orion prior to any applications being submitted to funders. Details on the RAF process (including a user guide) can be found on the Funding Research page under the heading Resource and Forms: External Grants.
For questions regarding grants and submitting a RAF, please email Res.Grants@acu.edu.au or phone Ext 2530
Applications for Human Research Ethics clearance are completed via the online Ethics forms in Orion. This includes applications dealing with:
- New ACU Research Projects
- Non-Identifiable Data
- Registration of External Approval
Information on the ethics application process can be found on the Research Ethics pages.
For questions regarding ethics clearance, please email Res.Ethics@acu.edu.au or phone Ext 2646
Publications (Research Performance)
Orion has a publications data entry form (Publications eForm) that is used to collect information on research outputs along with their associated verification material. All publications require verification and classification (eg addition of Field of Research Codes) for key reporting purposes such as ERA. Where possible the Orion publications eForm is pre-populated with data drawn from online sources. The process for collecting publications data and completing the Publications eForm is described on the Reporting Research Activities page.
Research Candidates (HDR Students)
Orion has online HDR eForms for:
- Annual Progress Reports (APRs)
- Candidature Variation Forms (CVFs) which cover requests for:
Leave; Study Mode (Full/Part time); Extension; Conducting Research outside ACU (Field work); change of Thesis Title
For questions regarding HDR eForms, please email Res.Cand@acu.edu.au
Orion underwent a major upgrade in 2017 and the old ResearchMaster for Windows client has been discontinued – all functionality is now housed in Orion.